Another weekend’s progress on the Medea Refinery terrain set. These two buildings go with the previous builds:
I’ve got 4 square feet covered with this set now, so two more large pieces or three smaller ones should cover a standard 40k table very well.
I have a tutorial here on how I’ve been constructing ladders for this set.
I designed the majority of the 3D printed pieces used here, half of them specifically for these buildings and the others as generic bits. The other three printed pieces I found on Thingiverse (the door hatch, ground hatch, and small circular hatch).
The green aquila is an acrylic cut from Greenman Designs. I picked up a bunch at NOVA a few years back specifically to use like this, as details above doors.
I designed each of the bright orange 3D printed bits on this silo. The mechanical box is a generic bit I’m using in a couple places. The other three were specifically designed for this piece, they’re shaped to fit the curve of the silo. I’m pretty happy with how the output pipe in particular came out, though I need to work on the valve handle. Fortunately it’s very identifiable as-is. The silo itself is half of the main booster fuel tank from a space shuttle model I’ve had kicking around forever, with the cap from a jar of Gatorade powder providing the pedestal base.
The pipeworks building came out very well. I changed the composition at the last minute as this diagonal layout just looked more interesting. The change cost me the space for a little fenced-in mysterious patch of grass I was going to have, but was definitely worth it. The pipe itself is just PVC plumbing pieces, with some Plastruct bits glued on and tape wrapped around to add detail. The green barrel is from a Tamiya 1/35 Allied Vehicle Accessories kit. I was glad I had that on hand, as the wood barrels used on the other pieces are much larger and would distract from the building. I especially enjoyed designing a printed part to be a collar ring and arm holding the nasal spray bottle as some kind of tank hanging off the side.
Just a couple more pieces to make, and then a couple guys from the club are coming over this weekend to hopefully get it all painted!